Search found 91 matches

by joltguy
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:21 am
Forum: CP/M & TDOS
Topic: Turbo Pascal 3 bitmap graphics extensions
Replies: 16
Views: 12052

Re: Turbo Pascal 3 bitmap graphics extensions

Here's a complete bitmap package for the Turbo Pascal 3 compiler under CP/M which will allow you to take advantage of the Adam's graphic capabilities using the power of a compiled Pascal environment. I’d like to play around with this on my Adam. Wmaalouli could you please post the source code for t...
by joltguy
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:42 am
Forum: Serial & Parallel Cards
Topic: Modifying the Coleco Internal Modem Into a Serial Card
Replies: 7
Views: 4777

Re: Modifying the Coleco Internal Modem Into a Serial Card

If you decide to do it let me know how it goes. My quest to add a serial port to my Adam continues...
by joltguy
Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:47 pm
Forum: SmartBASIC
Topic: Sprites vs Shapes
Views: 4983

Re: Sprites vs Shapes

Thank you very much for all the recommendations. I will definitely give SpritePower a try. I have the Hackers Guides but just sort of skimmed them so far. Good to know that SmartBASIC 1.0 can do sprites too! I was hoping to stick with 1.0 anyway since most of the example code that has been published...
by joltguy
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:09 pm

One limitation of the 9918 VDP is that you can only have 4 sprites on a single row. Additional ones will not be displayed. So when you are programming with sprites, you need to make sure that situation does not occur. Does this mean that more than 4 sprites can't appear at the same y-coordinate reg...
by joltguy
Sun May 31, 2020 11:13 pm

Ah okay, I do remember reading something about a sprite being treated like a layer of sorts. Since a sprite is native to the video processor I’m guessing it would come out way ahead performance-wise too.

SmartBASIC 1.0 apparently didn’t have support for sprites but they are available in version 2.0.
by joltguy
Sun May 31, 2020 7:59 am

Sprites vs Shapes

Hi all

Can anyone explain to me what the important differences are between sprites and shapes in SmartBASIC? Are there performance advantages to one over the other or does it simply come down to how they're stored in memory (bitmap vs vector)?
by joltguy
Mon May 25, 2020 3:11 pm
Forum: Easter Eggs
Topic: More eggs
Replies: 10
Views: 8260

Re: More eggs

Looks like its a good thing we didn't spend too much time on this. While searching around for some Adam info unrelated to this Easter egg I just happened to come across This Week With My Coleco ADAM 9710.20 . If you scroll down on that page you'll find a section titled "Code Fossil: ADAMlink Modem I...
by joltguy
Mon May 18, 2020 9:38 pm
Forum: EOS
Topic: EOS or CP/M
Views: 5784

Re: EOS or CP/M

EOS is the built-In OS for the Adam. So when you turn it on or perform a computer reset, EOS is transferred into RAM from the rom chip on the Adam Logic Board. Then SmartWriter is transferred into RAM unless of course you boot the CP/M or T-DOS OSes... they overwrite EOS. Thank you for the explanat...
by joltguy
Mon May 18, 2020 9:30 pm
Topic: HCOLOR pokes
Replies: 2
Views: 2550

Re: HCOLOR pokes

:!: Pure genius... that works perfectly. Thank you very much for the solution and the technical explanation!
by joltguy
Sun May 17, 2020 8:54 pm
Forum: Wanted to Buy
Topic: MIB2 or MIB3
Replies: 5
Views: 6185

Re: MIB2 or MIB3

Yep, I did check with him in fact that's where I'm planning on getting the memory expansion. He has addressor cards but currently none with a serial port. Just hoping to maximize the utility of slot #2.