Patching SmartBasic

Post your SmartBASIC questions here
Wmaalouli

Patching SmartBasic

Post by Wmaalouli » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:09 pm

It looks like the Micro Innovations parallel printer patch for SmartBasic only works with version 1.0. Unfortunately that version is buggy.
Is there a non-buggy version of SmartBasic out there that is patched for a parallel printer by any chance?

Milli
Site Admin

Re: Patching SmartBasic

Post by Milli » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:58 pm

Fix the bugs - it’s in the hackers guide
Milli

Wmaalouli

Post by Wmaalouli » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:26 am

Yes I did that. Just a few pokes and they preserved the parallel printer patch.
I also tried the sound patch but that created some weird issues. I triple checked my code and it matches what's in the Hacker's guide, so I wonder if there is a typo in the listing somewhere. Frankly, I hate to use someone else's code anyway particularly when it's a large list of pokes and I'm probably going to implement my own routines for sound and sprites...

JimN-NIAD

Post by JimN-NIAD » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:33 am

There are numerous version of SmartBasic v1.0 available in the Archive at the following link:

http://adamarchive.org/archive/Adam/EOS/Programming/

There is one with a Parallel Printer Driver by Wayne Motel included, but I don't recall if all the SB bugs were patched as well. Seeing as SuperBasic Plus by TCR Software includes a Parallel Printer Driver, fixes all or most of the SB bugs and includes numerous new commands, it should be your main version to use.

Unless you just want to learn your way around SB from the ground up in which case the POKEs, PEEKs and CALLs list is invaluable, the Hacker's Guide books are a very much required reading but they do have some issues with the program listings that were fixed over the years and are in the Archive under the name Hacker's Guide to ADAM disk image. Also, the Nibbles & Bits newsletters and SB patch programs are a must... unfortunately if they aren't on one of the N&B public domain volumes, you will have to track them down in the NIAD SmartBASIC PD volumes as I don't recall all their filenames.

Wmaalouli

Post by Wmaalouli » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:36 pm

I'm actually more interested in combining BASIC and assembly for more efficient programs where BASIC handles the logic and computational aspect of things and assembly the display and miscellaneous support routines. I'll take a look at Super Basic plus. I assume there is a manual detailing the added features somewhere?