AdamWare Image Manager

Posts about Disk Drive Emulators for the Coleco Adam
Milli
Site Admin

AdamWare Image Manager

Post by Milli » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:25 am

I will be making many updates and improvements to the Image Manager that is currently used with the ADE in September. If there is anythign you would like added or if you have seen a bug add let me know here.

If you are unsure what it is here is the webpage:

http://adamware.us/ImageManager.php
Milli

Wmaalouli

Re: AdamWare Image Manager

Post by Wmaalouli » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:40 am

I wonder if this concept could be made to work with the VDD...

Tekman

Post by Tekman » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:02 am

Milli, I have to say now that I have been using the ADEL for quite a while, I have a great appreciation for what you have accomplished with IM. The functionality and speed is impressive!

Here's my wish list. It’s mostly a list on integrating IM with the new ADEL functionality and details learned during the development of the ADEL and directory support is coming to the ADE/ADE Pro.

1) The ADEL has the ability to mount multi-disk volumes now but relies on file extensions that end in .ds2,ds3, and ds4 to perform this. It would be nice to have any image names ending in .ds2-ds4 display as a gray color, while still being selectable if need be. This will easily show they are part of a set and would make it easier if files names are longer than the 40 column display and can’t see the extensions. This way the un-grayed image would be the first (.dsk) image to typically load first. This would also be a good opportunity to add some polish and have .ddp images also have a unique color as well for quick reference while scrolling the list. I know, this probably sounds easier said than done.

2) Add a tools menu to show the ADE/ADE Pro/ADEL version and drive status/configuration (what drives are enabled/disabled). Also use this information gathered to prevent I,II,III,IV from being able to be selected depending on that configuration. IM will allow you to select a drive even if it is disabled in the ADE.

3) Make memory clear default - The ADEL boots directly to SmartWriter first now on power on which fixes compatibility issues with AB2 and a few other titles. It would be nice to still have it default for the ADE /ADE Pro or maybe an option in the tools menu to choose what type of boot and save it as a default. This is especially true when mounting multiple images and requiring VI to boot and not having the clear memory option.

4) Add the ability to send the SD Command format function to an image. Obviously with an ‘Are you sure (Y/N)’ before it is performed type message.

5) **Directory support for the ADE/ADE Pro is currently under development by Sean and will require a small change to add a check if what was selected is a directory or a file. More details on that coming soon.

Thanks!

JimN-NIAD

Post by JimN-NIAD » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:09 am

It was mentioned by Jim Walters in a "To Do" list for his SD Card Loader program that Rom Image loading might be added. This would be an incredible addition to I.M. as well, if feasible, as then all the image formats would then be supported using one device and loader program. With directory support being worked on by Sean, keeping the file lists organized and types of image files separated will be a snap now

Aside from that, I can't think of anything else right now aside from I like what John has posted re additions/improvements.

Tekman

Post by Tekman » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:10 pm

JimN-NIAD wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:09 am
It was mentioned by Jim Walters in a "To Do" list for his SD Card Loader program that Rom Image loading might be added. This would be an incredible addition to I.M. as well, if feasible, as then all the image formats would then be supported using one device and loader program.
It was never considered to add ROM image support to the ADE. Although, it’s not impossible to add the ability for ROM images. Further discussion with Sean on the subject “I have no plans to add support. The ADE is a drive emulator”.

I think the best option is for Milli to take advantage of the large image support of the ADE and create a couple CVE volumes that have everything. At least everything worthwhile.

JimN-NIAD

Post by JimN-NIAD » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:25 pm

Indeed, W. Hicks has already made such Coleco rom image volumes available as large disk images snd the Atarimax Ultimate SD Cart is a great product which will handle 99.9% of the CV carts. I guess I could always look into the layout of the CVE volumes to see if I could hack together new volumes for those that don't have the Multicart.

Besides that, I can't think of any other capabilities to add to I.M. that aren't already there or have been mentioned by John in his post.

Milli
Site Admin

Post by Milli » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:25 am

Wmaalouli wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:40 am
I wonder if this concept could be made to work with the VDD...
I have something in the works for the VDD
Milli

Milli
Site Admin

Post by Milli » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:26 am

Tekman wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:10 pm
It was never considered to add ROM image support to the ADE. Although, it’s not impossible to add the ability for ROM images. Further discussion with Sean on the subject “I have no plans to add support. The ADE is a drive emulator”.
I am looking at developing some ADE compatible code to upgrade what it does - lots of ideas, now I just need the time.
Milli

Milli
Site Admin

Post by Milli » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:28 am

If you are looking for a ROM support download the CVE archives I made on AdamWare http://adamware.us and place the disk images on an microSD card. The interface is the same as the image manager and will let you access hundreds of ROMS.
Milli

joltguy

Post by joltguy » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:18 pm

The Image Manager is already absolutely incredible but it'd be even better if there were tools to manage the disk image files from the Image Manager. Being able to do things like renaming, deleting, or duplicating the image files would save a trip to the "other" computer to manage the SD card contents. Duplicating an image file would be really handy as a quick n' dirty backup mechanism. The benefit of a renaming feature (for me anyway) is that my little ADEL doesn't have a screen but it does allow multi-disk swapping on virtual drive one as long as the filenames (less the extension) are the same. I use this feature for things like Walters SmartDSK III which boots SmartDSK and then asks you to insert SmartBASIC to continue. I just name the disk image files accordingly and press the grey button to swap at the appropriate time.

And if you want to go really crazy you could try to add support for downloading to the SD card directly from your ADAM archive site! :lol: