Slide Show program

Post your CP/M & TDOS questions here
Wmaalouli

Re: Slide Show program

Post by Wmaalouli » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:11 pm

Sixthview wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:35 pm
Could this be set to advance with a button push instead of automatically? :?:
It should be very trivial to add that feature. Replace the following code snippet

Code: Select all

Delay(2000);
if KeyPressed then
   begin
      {Restore VDP settings}
      inline($CD/$66/$DA);
      close(ImgLib);
      halt;
   end;
with

Code: Select all

repeat
until KeyPressed;
and recompile the source using Turbo Pascal. That change however will require you reset the Adam if you want to exit the program.

Sixthview

Post by Sixthview » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:25 pm

Okay... I'm gonna give it a try. I know nothing about TP but what I have watched on your youtube channel. LOL
I need to learn though.

My thought, in the long run after some playing around and testing would be to design a visual novel. It would of course be small, but fun and new.

Further, depending on how that goes, I would try to figure out how to add something like "Press A - This Choice" or "Press B - That Choice" and have it load a picture based on the button press. But that's way way ahead of learning some TP first. I have always been a story writer and developed for modern PC's and just wrote stories. So if I can do that on the ADAM that would be a lot more fun.

Wmaalouli

Post by Wmaalouli » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:11 am

That can be done quite easily with the Turbo Pascal graphics, sound and control extensions I created for it. One of the added functionality is the ability to load a bitmap image and overlay it with graphic and text content. Perfect for a visual novel :)
On a side note, Turbo Pascal is a very user-friendly language and if you know BASIC then it should all sound very familiar. I would also spring for the TP3 manual on Amazon which goes for under $10. Just be aware that the TP editor does not work well on the Adam unfortunately, so you have to use an external editor like ED or ADAMED.
Regarding editing the slide show program, once you have edited the source file (SLIDESHW.PAS), go into TP3, select Y for error messages, press O to go into Options, press C for compilation to Com file then press Q to exit. Press C to compile and enter <drive>:SLIDESHW then <ENTER>. The program will compile. Press Q when done to exit TP3 and presto you are done :)
I could do it for you, but if you plan on learning TP3, this would be a good start!