Project Update NeoColeco Adapter

Repairing, upgrading and maintaining the Miscellaneous Adam Hardware
Cartermw

Project Update NeoColeco Adapter

Post by Cartermw » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:08 pm

As promised I am going to begin updating the community on my current projects. I would like to begin with a project I am quite excited about, if for no other reason than it is nearly done.

What is the NeoColeco Adapter: The NeoColeco Adapter is an adapter that will allow you to use a 6 button NeoGeo AES joystick or equivalent on a Colecovision or Adam.

Why: When I first started playing with the Adam I picked up a few games and quickly learned that the stock Colecovision joystick killed my aged hands. I started looking for a way to use modern more ergonomic controllers on the Colecovision. While attempting to design a Bluetooth controller adapter for the Colecovision I came across IntecGaming a company that was already making Bluetooth to joystick adapters for many of the older gaming systems. Rather than re-inventing the wheel I decided to build an adapter that would convert one of their modules to the Colecovision. After making a list of all of their modules and researching the pinouts for each the NeoGeo was the only one that could be readily designed without a microcontroller, i.e. with only discreet components. And thus the NeoColeco adapter was born.

Functionality: The NeoColeco Adapter has a static map for the up, down, left, right, fire, and trigger buttons. There are 4 dip switches that will allow you to map the C, D, Start, and Select buttons to anything on the number pad. There is a pass through port so you can plug in you current controller for more accessibility. The unit requires 5v DC to function, it will come with a MicroSD connector, but can also be equipped with any 5v DC source you find convenient.

Current State of Project: The final prototype has been built and is working perfectly. I had to fix a couple of minor issues and adjust the form factor to fit into the project boxes I decided to use. What I hope are the production boards are being fabricated in China as I type this. I hope to be selling these units late August early September for $75.00 a piece plus shipping.

Related Projects: As I was finishing the project I noticed that intecGaming was not currently selling the Bluetooth adapter. I am hoping this is simply due to the current chip shortage I wanted to come up with plan B, so I decided to begin designing daughter boards for the NeoColeco. I am getting ready to breadboard the NeoMouse board to connect a PS2 mouse to the Colecovision and the NeoGameport board to connect a Gameport joystick to the system. I am hoping I can figure out force feedback, I would love to see a version of Buck Rogers that included force feedback. I am also potentially looking at the 6 button Sega genesis and SNES (non NTT) for the future.

Bluetooth Adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FFS9BMP/re ... M3V7QZKJHT

If you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions please leave a comment. And look here for all future updates on this and all of my Colecovision/Adam projects.
Attachments
Top View.jpg
Top View.jpg (3.45 MiB) Viewed 2944 times
Side View.jpg
Side View.jpg (2.71 MiB) Viewed 2944 times

Cartermw

Re: Project Update NeoColeco Adapter

Post by Cartermw » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:01 am

I am excited to say that the NeoColeco Adapter is near ready for sale. The latest PCB is close to production, I somehow flipped the X axis on the board, but can easily fix it in place, and have already fixed the issue on the next batch.
I am still trying to figure out the best rout for the power and Controller cables. I have found that the power connector I intended on using is too tall for the box and I will end up having to solder the wires directly to the board, until I find something better. As for the Controller cable, I have finally found a reasonably priced source for form factor cables and once they arrive will move to using them over the custom made cables I have right now. On a side note, if anyone needs Solder cup DB9 female connectors, let me know I have them for sale cheap.
I have acquired a set of black boxes that I believe will work well for the unit, and have a set of ivory boxes on the way. I am working on figuring the best way to cut the access holes in the box. I attempted using a Dremel rotary cutter and found it hard to control. I am hoping to have a stencil ready today and will experiment with other cutting methods in the future. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I would love to get either a injection molded or quality printed case, but need to determine if sales are going to justify the setup cost.
I have enough parts to build 6 units, and hope to sell them in the next two weeks. Once they sell I will have enough to purchase more parts and start larger scale production, hopefully ramping up sales in the beginning of September.

Available NeoGeo Adapters that I have found:

IntecGaming Wireless adapter for PS4, Xbox one, and Switch Pro Controller (Tested, but currently not available)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FFS9BMP/?c ... _lig_dp_it

Brooks Wired/Wireless adapter for PS3 and PS4 (Tested available and works well)
https://www.amazon.com/Mcbazel-Controll ... 529&sr=8-2
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253186171811

Sega Genesis/SNES controller to Neo-Geo MVS/AES controller adapter KIT (Arriving next week and will test)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284382657495

N642NEOGEO Nintendo 64 controller to SNK NEO GEO converter adapter (Untested)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224521542078

GEN2NEOGEO Genesis 3B/6B joypad to SNK NEO GEO converter adapter (Untested)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224471805961

SNES2NEOGEO Nintendo SNES SFC Controller to SNK NEO GEO converter adapter (Untested)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224471839914

PSXBOXUSBHID2NEOGEO controller to SNK NEO GEO Supergun PS2/3/4/5,XBOX,SW,USBHID (Untested)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224515913516
Production board in case and loose
Production board in case and loose
NeoColeco 2.jpg (3.66 MiB) Viewed 2868 times

Cartermw

Post by Cartermw » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:02 pm

Spent some time this evening testing, and I am happy to say the NeoColeco works great with the Phoenix. Unfortunately it hasn't improved my gaming skill. Oh well back to work. :lol:
Attachments
IMG_20210801_161918.jpg
IMG_20210801_161918.jpg (3.4 MiB) Viewed 2853 times

Milli
Site Admin

Post by Milli » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:50 pm

Can’t wait to give this a try with CCR
Milli

Cartermw

Post by Cartermw » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:21 am

A quick update. The more I work on the case, the less I like it. I have decided to go back to my original idea for 3D printed cases. My hope is to do the first few on my machine, and then have a shop print the rest. My challenge now is learning free cad. Up to now I have used Autodesk apps, but with them changing the license I have to do something different. Undoubtedly this will lead to another delay, but in the end I know I will be much happier, and will end up with a product I am proud of.

Cartermw

Post by Cartermw » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:58 pm

Getting closer, I need to tune the design some, and see if I can get my printer to use ABS, and I should be ready to go.
IMG_20210808_165339.jpg
IMG_20210808_165339.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 2809 times

Milli
Site Admin

Post by Milli » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:41 pm

Getting there!
Milli

Cartermw

Post by Cartermw » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:37 pm

I am soooo pissed tonight. The nice DB9 controller cables I ordered from Ali Express showed up are not even close. They are actually USB OTG cables. Now begins the challenge of getting a refund from Ali. This also means that I am back to hand making cables, wether I like it or not. On the plus side the box is ready, I now just need to them to print on ABS.

Wmaalouli

Post by Wmaalouli » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:07 am

I've never ordered anything from Ali Express. What is their reputation? I have used Bangoods before with no issues. Can't beat the prices of these Chinese outfits, at least until something goes wrong with the order...

Cartermw

Post by Cartermw » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:04 pm

Up to now I have had no issues, and everyone makes mistakes. I have just heard horror stories about trying to deal with their returns department. We will see. It is not going to stop me from shopping there, in fact I have already re-ordered the cables just from a different vendor. My biggest issue is the month long wait to get them.