EOS or CP/M

Post your EOS (Elementary Operating System) questions here
Milli
Site Admin

EOS or CP/M

Post by Milli » Fri May 15, 2020 8:12 am

I have waffled back and forth over which OS I should develop under, EOS or CP/M. I like CP/M because it is a complete OS but I also like EOS because it allows me to do more, I am not confined by the artificial constraints that CP/M has due to it being used on different types of hardware. What are your thoughts?
Milli

Wmaalouli

Re: EOS or CP/M

Post by Wmaalouli » Fri May 15, 2020 10:10 am

If you use assembly then you have very little constraints under CP/M. Also you have the option of using Turbo Pascal with the graphics, sound and controller extensions I developed for it, thus giving you a powerful development tool which is very easy to work with. Finally CP/M is a full OS with mature capabilities and file handling.
I would strongly lean towards CP/M personally.

Incidentally, I fully plan on programming a game for the Adam using TP3 as soon as I finish my current project.

Milli
Site Admin

Post by Milli » Fri May 15, 2020 10:58 am

Wmaalouli wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:10 am
If you use assembly then you have very little constraints under CP/M. Also you have the option of using Turbo Pascal with the graphics, sound and controller extensions I developed for it, thus giving you a powerful development tool which is very easy to work with. Finally CP/M is a full OS with mature capabilities and file handling.
I would strongly lean towards CP/M personally.
The constraints are really in the file system, the limitation to 256k on a data pack, 160k on a disk. With EOS I can technically go to 4gb using the ADE, though it seems 65mb is the best for ADE and VDD. Though maybe thinking about it I shouldn't worry about the ADE or VDD - If I stick to the data or disk drives then any code will run on any adam
Milli

joltguy

Post by joltguy » Fri May 15, 2020 11:22 am

I don't have enough experience programming for either OS yet (working on it though!) so unfortunately I can't offer a recommendation but I do have a related question: With CP/M and TDOS when you boot you are greeted with a command prompt. What does it mean to boot into EOS or is that something you can even do?

Milli
Site Admin

Post by Milli » Fri May 15, 2020 11:37 am

joltguy wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:22 am
I don't have enough experience programming for either OS yet (working on it though!) so unfortunately I can't offer a recommendation but I do have a related question: With CP/M and TDOS when you boot you are greeted with a command prompt. What does it mean to boot into EOS or is that something you can even do?
EOS is just built in routines, there is no real OS. It’s full name is Elementary Operating System
Milli

joltguy

Post by joltguy » Fri May 15, 2020 12:20 pm

Milli wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:37 am
EOS is just built in routines, there is no real OS. It’s full name is Elementary Operating System
Ahh okay, I thought that might be the case but wanted to be sure. Thanks. :)

JimN-NIAD

Post by JimN-NIAD » Mon May 18, 2020 3:56 pm

joltguy wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:22 am
EOS is the built-In OS for the Adam. So when you turn it on or perform a computer reset, EOS is transferred into RAM from the rom chip on the Adam Logic Board. Then SmartWriter is transferred into RAM unless of course you boot the CP/M or T-DOS OSes... they overwrite EOS.

joltguy

Post by joltguy » Mon May 18, 2020 9:38 pm

JimN-NIAD wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:56 pm
EOS is the built-In OS for the Adam. So when you turn it on or perform a computer reset, EOS is transferred into RAM from the rom chip on the Adam Logic Board. Then SmartWriter is transferred into RAM unless of course you boot the CP/M or T-DOS OSes... they overwrite EOS.
Thank you for the explanation... definitely helps me make sense of it all! :)