PSU replacement, printer internal...

Post about Power Supply replacements for the Coleco Adam
MrPix

PSU replacement, printer internal...

Post by MrPix » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:25 am

I’m looking at this project. The old design is quite tired now, and not very efficient. There are options already that provide what is needed. I’ll measure the space and get the specs from the technical manual and see what makes sense economically.

Milli
Site Admin

Re: PSU replacement, printer internal...

Post by Milli » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:32 am

Replacing the power supply in the printer or replacing the printer with a new power supply?
Milli

MrPix

Post by MrPix » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:24 am

Replacing the power supply in the printer. I do see a lot of people using standard cage supplies inside their expansion bays. I think the only thing wrong with the Adam printer is the loudness, and apart from that it's pretty decent. Just needs a more efficient and better regulated power supply.

Wmaalouli

Post by Wmaalouli » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:46 pm

Is this project an academic exercise or is the PS in the printer prone to malfunction?
As for the printer itself, aside from being loud, it's also quite slow. But frankly, neither of these is a major issue for me as compared to the lack of a tractor feed...

MrPix

Post by MrPix » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:14 am

Mine failed, mostly through age and dry caps. Given the design, a whole new power supply would cost less than the caps. The power supply also is only 45% efficient, and modern designs are 89-92% efficient. Half the power draw at the wall.

Wmaalouli

Post by Wmaalouli » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:38 am

Please post your PS design when done here. It would be great to have an alternative option should the PS in my printer die...