Hacker's Guide to ADAM (1985) (Peter & Bn Hinkle).ddp

Discussions about the Coleco Adam archive at http://adamarchive.org
Milli
Site Admin

Hacker's Guide to ADAM (1985) (Peter & Bn Hinkle).ddp

Post by Milli » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:16 am

There are 3 different version of this in the archive.

The DDP image with 20 files, a DSK image with 23 files and another DSK image with 21 files.

Why the diference?
Milli

JimN-NIAD

Re: Hacker's Guide to ADAM (1985) (Peter & Bn Hinkle).ddp

Post by JimN-NIAD » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:21 pm

When I was organizing all the image files, I decided to keep all files that had a different CRC with the idea that I would eventually get back to giving all variations a serious look to see what really was the difference. Well, it's been a considerable number of years and I have yet to get back to playing detective with these alternative image files. Eventually I will get to them in order to make life easier for everyone as I do hate having multiple version of the same program unless absolutely necessary.

Milli
Site Admin

Post by Milli » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:01 am

Sounds good to me - I am adding more features to the archive over the next few days that should help with this too.
Milli

JimN-NIAD

Post by JimN-NIAD » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:58 am

I think I recall why there are 2 extra files with the disk images. When I was sorting thru all the image files back in 2010, I setup all (or all that could be) image files to be bootable to make life easier for everyone especially those new to the Adam. This updated/bootable version became the main version and the original version became the alternate [a1] version.

So in “The Hacker’s Guide to Adam” image file’s case, I copied the title screen file that plays music (IIRC Logo... something or another) and the SmartBasic ML program file (Basicpgm) to the original disk image and then edited the title screen text to list the program name and other info.

It was a lot of work updating all these disk images, but in the end, it makes life a lot easier for the end user to just mount the disk image or actual disk and reset the system to boot instead of dealing with multiple image files or actual disks/DDPs.